Thomas Homan, acting director of Immigration & Customers Enforcement (ICE), appeared on Fox News for an interview following his speech in Miami, FL. Earlier this year, Miami affirmed its decision to revoke the sanctuary status for criminal aliens. Here’s a re-cap.
- Chicago, IL has the highest crime rate they’ve had in years, but they’re not doing everything they can to prevent crime because they release criminal aliens instead of turning them over to ICE.
- Recidivism rates for criminals in Chicago are as high as 75 percent.
- Of the nearly 10,000 criminal aliens arrested and released by Chicago PD, nearly 10,000 have recommitted another crime.
- ICE is in the process of hiring 10,000 more law enforcement officers. “The first place I’m sending these additional resources are to sanctuary cities.”
- In addition to pulling funding for sanctuary cities openly violating federal law, Acting Director Homan says the Department of Justice needs to look at whether the mayors and government officials are committing a statutory crime by 8-USC-1324 Alien Smuggling. “There’s a part of that law that says that if you harbor, conceal or shield, knowingly shield an illegal alien from law enforcement, that’s a crime.”
- “Look, you are going to like or not like this president or this administration, but what they have done has had great success on the southern border. Now we’re stepping up enforcement in the interior. It’s not OK to violate the laws of this country. When you enter this country illegally, that is a crime.”